Sunday, October 11, 2009

"Walls"
Some days are diamonds
Some days are rocks
Some doors are open
Some roads are blocked



But you got a heart so big
It could crush this town
And I can't hold out forever
Even walls fall down

And all around your island
There's a barricade
It keeps out the danger
It holds in the pain

Sometimes you're happy
Sometimes you cry
Half of me is ocean
Half of me is sky

But you got a heart so big
It could crush this town.
and I can't hold on forever,
even walls come down....

And some things are over
Some things go on
And part of me you carry
Part of me is gone

I love the last verse because it profoundly describes how love can uplift, but also deplete and take away and diminish one's soul. Every time someone hurts you there is a piece of you that is no longer there. I could talk forever abou this, but Petty uses brief phrasing to say so much. I can only respond with paint on a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment